Friday, September 05, 2008

To Dixie and Back

Well, routine reared it's ugly head again after having spent five wonderful days with Danielle at my dad's place in Myrtle Beach. Although two of the five days were spent driving, I have to say that it was absolutely worth the journey. We arrived into town at about 4 Friday afternoon after having left Erie at about 4:30 that morning (we stopped three times: once for breakfast at Panera somewhere in West Virginia, once for gas in Virginia, and once for a snack in North Carolina). I had arranged with MaryJo, my dad's wife, to keep our visit on the DL. We agreed to meet at a restaurant they like at the beach near their house. As they walked into the restaurant, the hostess brought them to the table that Danielle and I had already been sat at. He wondered why she was seating them at a table at which two people had already been seated. He was absolutely stunned when he figured out that it was us. It was the best reaction we could have hoped for! And -- hopefully -- the best birthday present we could have given him.

With my dad reaching the 70 year milestone on Sunday, I will do everything I can do utilize every opportunity that arises to go see him. I refuse to pass up any opportunity to spend time with my dad. It's already been two years since he retired and headed south, but the idea that I am 800 miles away from him is still something I am trying to get used to. For him, he chose to move his family to America 40 years ago and left his parents and other family back in England. For him, being separated from those you love is something that you "just do". I accept that, but that doesn't mean that I don't miss him terribly. So when Danielle emailed me early last week and said, "hey, wanna go to Myrtle Beach this weekend?", I jubilantly wrote back and said, "heck yes!" I would not have answered any other way.

I'm also very grateful that I have a wife who enjoys my company on roadtrips. I definitely enjoy hers. To many people, the very idea of a 13 hour roadtrip makes them cringe. To us, it is an opportunity to reconnect, laugh, and plan. We do not need music, a portable DVD player, or iPods to keep ourselves entertained. Actually, if I was to be completely honest with you, the drive down and back is my favorite part of the trip. We have each other, and, in my ever-so-slightly biased opinion, that is all we need. ;-)





[EDIT: i tried six times to upload a few pics, but Blogger must be having issues. i will upload them sometime later on friday if and when i get a chance. sorry!]

2 comments:

Unknown said...

that was too cute

Martina said...

I'm glad you shared that. I love taking road trip with Jason for the same reason. I absolutely love the quality time in the car. We always get into awesome discussions. A couple of times a year we drive 4 hours to Atlanta to go to IKEA and then drive 4 hours back. Some friends think we're crazy for spending 8 hours in the car to go to Atlanta for 4-6 hours but the truth is, the time in the car is the best part!