Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Thoughts on Christmas

With Christmas just 8 days away, it is obviously on the forefront of everybody's minds these days. Here are some thoughts of mine:

  • I finally got the outside Christmas lights up today. I had made my mind up not to do them as it is so late, but over the last couple of days, I've noticed scores of houses all of a sudden have their displays up. Coincidentally, this has also been the first multi-day stretch of time that the ground has been bare since basically the second week of November...so perhaps that made some people decide to put their lights up while they had a chance. In fact, as I put ours up tonight, it started snowing.
  • Looking up and down our snowy street tonight at house after house of Christmas displays as the snow fell while my wife was inside baking cookies....it was pretty much what I dream about this time of year. The only thing missing was a kid or two helping daddy untangle the lights. Ah, soon enough I say. Soon enough.
  • Growing up, cookies that were part of Christmas for us were either chocolate chip or peanut butter with Hershey Kisses. After having spent the last couple of Christmases watching (and helping) Danielle bake, frost, and sprinkle cookies, I have to say that I really love doing that with her! It's fun bonding time.
  • I'm pretty sure we're guaranteed a white Christmas. We have some storms on the horizon that promise to dump quite a bit of snow here. Of course, the forecast can change, but it seems VERY promising for those who are hoping for a white Christmas. And, as you can imagine, I am thrilled.
  • Danielle and I have not started our Christmas shopping yet. To be honest, though, there's not really that much we have to do. With our family situations like they are (four parents, six siblings, my five nieces & nephews, & Danielle's two nieces), buying presents for everybody just isn't reasonable. So we've cut way back this year. In fact, we still aren't even sure whether we are going to get each other anything. I have to be honest; Al's sermon on Sunday really made me think about the insanity of the American Christmas. It's sickening...and I'm not so sure I want any part of it.
  • When and if we ever have kids, remind me of what I just said when I am trying to provide them with the most incredible Christmas ever.
  • Another reason I think we have toned down Christmas give-giving is because there are simply too many birthdays in the month of December. We would like to request that people who are close to us either in family or friendship...please stop getting frisky during the month of March. Just wait a little bit. Thanks.
  • I have always loved this time of year. Even now, as I wrestle with God through the struggles and pains of life, I still manage to crack a smile now and then about the childlike excitement I have within me during this season. It is a time of year that I really miss my mom, even though it has been 16 Christmases. This year, I will miss my dad too. It will be our very first Christmas apart. Ever. Danielle did that last year when we were in Myrtle Beach with my dad and his wife. It's tough. But it is the way things are.

I should stop writing. You're probably bored to death.

Hope you have a great Wednesday!

No comments: