Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Fun With Beavers

FYI: The pictures and text are all screwed up in this entry because I haven't figured out how to post pics to Blogger yet. But it would take too much time to fix, so I'm not going to. Sorry.

Danielle, Candace, and I spent this past weekend camping down at Beaver Meadows in the Allegheny National Forest. And while we didn't really see any beavers, as the title of this entry suggests, we definitely would have had fun with them if, in fact, we had seen some.


Beaver Meadows Lake I guess this is the meadow where the beavers are supposed to be?

We arrived down there on Saturday after a campsite search in Cook Forest and a random visit to the camp where Aaron, Kelly, and the boys were staying. We pitched our tent in time for dinner and nightfall. Mind you, this was both Danielle and Candace's first time tent camping, so I had no idea how this was going to go. I'm pleased to say that it was a grand success. You can read about Danielle's experience here.

Candace looking on as I finish setting up camp Our site


"I'm not so sure about this!" A baby pinecone and a fine example of Danielle's magnificent eye


Candace and I having fun in the tent after it was all set up

What followed was an evening of fun and food. We cooked Smith's hot dogs (good taste never goes out of style) over the fire, and ate Pringle's and potato salad. Afer dinner, we made mountain pies with cherry filling, and then later, we made s'mores. Candace loved the s'mores. But, in my opinion, who in their right mind wouldn't?


"Is it time for Smith's hot dogs yet?" Danielle and Candace sitting and snacking by the fire


Candace and I clearing up after dinner Candace's first s'more! Mmmmm!!!

As Danielle mentions in her blog, the woods around us were amazingly silent. We didn't even hear the sound of crickets. Occasionally, the chorus of frogs from the lake would echo through the forest, but even that was faint and barely audible. The other strange thing I noticed was that there was not a hint of wind the entire night. The trees were about as still as they could be. I said to Danielle at one point that I wondered if weather still existed. It was really strange but stunningly peaceful.


"Umm, this is where we're sleeping?" Bedtime!

On Sunday, we woke up and made blueberry pancakes for breakfast. After breakfast, we went on a 3 mile hike, which -- for 2 year old Candace -- is a huge deal. Although she was carried by Danielle for the first part of the hike and me on the second part, I still think she did excellent, even if she did cry 90% of the time. LOL.

A baby pinecone! Danielle and Candace walking through wildflowers



Deep thoughts by Candace Stunning wildflower displays



Candace on top of the dam Traversing a rickety old bridge



Candace and I taking a break as we walk through a bog Yes, that is Danielle walking through thick wilderness! I'm so proud!



When we arrived back at the campsite, we were going to make lunch, but a thunderstorm popped up extremely quickly which caused us to tear down camp like crazy people and get in the car just in time for the lightning bolts and the deluge.


"Where da fire go Unca Day?"

On the way home, we stopped by Cook Forest, let Candace dip her feet in the river, we made grilled ham and cheese at an enclosed picnic shelter, and then got ice cream.

Playing at the river "You want me to do what?"



The Clarion River at Cook Forest One of very few pictures where Candace is smiling!



Danielle and Candace playing in the river Eating lunch in a shelter during the thunderstorm


This past weekend reiterated what I already knew: I was born to live outside. If I could live in a forest for the rest of my life, I would be incredibly satisfied. I love being outside. Being in Creation, seeing what God has done, being away from all the modern conveniences of daily life (I can't even tell you where the nearest electric light was, let alone cell phone reception) is something that just fills me with joy.

I love camping. And I love that my wife now loves to camp, too.

2 comments:

aaron said...

And we are excited for a crazy camping trip with all the kids, maybe???
-kelly

Anonymous said...

How true!
Growing up in those woods, I can honestly say I never took them for granted. I feel closest to God when I'm in the presence of big trees and the smell of forest and little critters of all kinds running around.
I'm glad you love it too.
I can't count how many weekends were spent in Clear Creek and Cook Forest.My heart will always be there