Tuesday, August 26, 2008

An Expensive Winter?

As if we needed anything else to worry about, the Farmer's Almanac has released it's 2008-2009 winter forecast. It is predicting a "numbingly wild and cold" winter for most of the U.S. and especially around the Midwest, Great Lakes, and Northeast. Now, of course as an avid winter enthusiast, I am completely and utterly stoked by such a prediction. But Peter Geiger, the almanac's editor, stated, "This is going to be catastrophic for millions of people." Of course, he is referring to the astronomical rise in oil prices (read: the cost to heat your home) since last winter and how a frigid winter may affect people this year.

For now, I'm just going to assume, hope, and pray that oil prices go down to $15/barrel by the start of winter so that gas is $1.10/gallon and our monthly gas bills are under $30 during the winter months. So, if I keep that optimistic and positive attitude, I will not feel guilty about the fact that I am excited for a "numbingly cold" winter up in these parts.
And yes, I know that it is the Farmer's Almanac. BUT, they do claim 80-85% accuracy. I'd say those are pretty good odds. :-D




1 comment:

Unknown said...

brisk and wet?! what does that mean? not, tons of snow, i assure you. ugh.