Tuesday, August 19, 2008

A Nice Evening

On Sunday, my friend Justin asked me if I would be willing to sub on Monday for somebody who is unable to complete the season on the Grace men's golf league. Derek has asked me about a thousand times to sub for him in the league, but I never did...mainly out of fear, I suppose (sorry, Derek!). Reluctantly, when Justin asked, I agreed since he said I would be playing with him (I generally fear unfamiliar social situations). I fretted about it all afternoon on Sunday and all day on Monday. I kept thinking I had made a terrible mistake, as I hadn't been out on a golf course in nearly two years.

Even as Justin and I were making the trek out to Elk Valley Golf Course in Girard, I was extremely nervous about how stupid I was going to make myself look in front of a bunch of guys who have had a whole summer of practice. Before tee-off, Justin and I hit some balls at the driving range. I immediately felt how grossly out of shape I was. I mean, I know it's golf and all...pretty much the laziest sport there is (besides baseball)...but I really felt it in my arms and my back. I was beginning to worry even more about how I was going to look in front of these guys.


It was finally time to tee off. My heart was pounding as I prepared to drive for the first time in two years with about 15 other people looking on. As the driver hit the ball, I was sure that I was going to make a spectacle of myself. I was sure the ball was going to go in the woods or in the water. Imagine my surprise when I looked up and followed my ball to a relatively safe spot just right of the fairway. My first drive was a success. Unfortunately, my next shot went right into the water. But so did Justin's. And so did Bob's (Bob was the other guy in our threesome). Instead of getting upset over losing a ball, we actually laughed about it because we all did the same thing.


As the evening continued on, I realized that I was having a great time. I had some incredible shots and I had some horrible ones (although, the only ball I lost was --ironically-- in the water on the first hole). I was with two other guys who also had some incredible shots and some horrible ones. I began to realize that my fears were completely unfounded.


What had unfolded was a perfect late summer evening. The sun was setting, the temperature was perfect, and --most importantly-- we were having loads of fun. The best part? Being part of intergenerational fellowship. There were 20-somethings playing. And there were 80-somethings playing. In fact, in my own group was myself (29), Justin (27), and Bob (between 70 and 80). I loved it.


Playing last night made me realize once again how much I genuinely enjoy golf. I grew up living on a golf course and, as one would expect, golf was a huge part of my childhood. As I grew older, though, golf became more of a luxury for me.


I am happy to say that I look forward to next Monday and, although this season is nearing its end (snow will be flying in less than two months, folks), I will look ahead to next spring when the league starts up again. Who knows? Maybe I'll actually do something I would have thought unthinkable a mere day ago: join.



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

oh, Dave. You and I have too much in common. So afraid of making a fool of myself in front of others, forgetting to have fun,wandering aimlessly through life...
I think I'll adopt you as my little brother(since I have no siblings)