Thursday, January 29, 2009

Inching Closer...

I apologize for the shallowness of this blog lately. I just find that weather and politics seem to be more interesting than my own life right now. ;-)

<-- This is what I've been doing pretty much every day since early November. Thank goodness for snow blowers. That's all I have to say.
Well, the storm last night and today has come and gone. With the 1.4" yesterday and 10.1" so far today, that has propelled this January to an unbelievable 52.3", which -- with three days to go-- officially makes this January the 5th snowiest in history.
Seasonally, we are up to an astounding 122.6" (or 10.2 feet). I'll have to ask Brian the Weatherman if he can check to see whether Erie has ever had this much snow at this point in the season. I find it highly unlikely considering that the all-time record for seasonal snowfall is 149.1". I mean, you do realize that it's only January 28...which means we have ALL of February and ALL of March to go....and we only need 27 inches to break the record? (just to give you an idea....if we were to go by last year's snow totals for February and March: In February, we received 28.6" and in March we received 33.9"...meaning that if that were to happen this year, we'd be at 185" by the time March was over. Incredible.)
Also, just so you can say that you heard it here first....some computer models are becoming increasingly confident that a massive storm is going to hit the Eastern United States early next week. There are several possible scenarios, but the most likely one at this point looks to be yet another huge storm for Erie -- possibly making today's storm look like a flurry in comparison. In fact, Henry, my favorite weather guy over at AccuWeather, is already throwing the "B" word out. A blizzard on my birthday next week? Now that would be swell.
Finally, I'd just like to point out that those older folks who use the tired, worn out phrase "the winters just aren't what they used to be"....I mean, I'm sorry -- and I certainly mean no disrespect -- but you obviously have no idea what you are talking about.

I love this epic winter. May it never end!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

so.
much.
snow.

seeing what the plows did to it this morning was shocking. people's driveways barely existed. The snow flew over our 6 foot piles and onto the sidewalk!

my question for you is, what happens when there is simply too much snow for people in the city? the space is so limited, peoples cars are already plowed in, etc.... i just wish some of it would melt before we got more, i guess.

Christa @ Quintooples said...

Is it OK that I am giggling!!?!?!? We have SO much snow on the ground NOW! I cant imagine what a "b-word" storm could do. LOL.

I think I may have mental problems. ;)

I even brought Josh to the dark side. He's all about some SNOW now.