Saturday, January 31, 2009

Snow Snow Snow

I took the camera along today to take some shots around the city of the copious amounts of snow that continue to fall on us daily. The one at left is down by the bayfront. The wind was blowing hard off the bay, creating blizzard-like conditions.

Today (Friday), we had yet another unexpected dumping of snow (it was lake effect from a frozen lake...go figure!). Here is where our statistics lie as of midnight on Saturday, January 31.
Friday's snow total: 6.9"
January total so far: 59.2"
This is our 3rd snowiest January ever. 2nd snowiest is January 2004 with 59.9". The snowiest January on record is 62.4" set in 1978. Will we break the record for January? Probably not...but we may very well break into the #2 spot by midnight tomorrow.
Snow so far this winter: 129.5"
This number earns us the #5 spot for snowiest winters in Erie history. We now need less than 20 inches to break the all-time record. Will we do it? I'm not really that worried...after all, we received 1/4 of that amount in four hours today. In fact, I'd be willing to bet that by the time this seemingly Narnian winter ends, we will not only break the all-time record...we will SHATTER it!
Also, the latest update regarding next weeks' storm: it's not going to be nearly as bad as the weather peeps thought just 24 hours ago. In fact, here in Erie, it may not even be close enough to us to give us ANY snow. Danielle told me I can't complain about a storm missing us...especially after what has happened thus far this winter. So...I'm not complaining. I'm just sayin'....
I leave you with some more pics from around town today. It was truly a whiteout at times with horrible driving conditions. And yes, I was taking pictures as I was driving. So sue me.



1. Along the bayfront highway. Couldn't see a thing.
2. The I-79 and 26th St interchange
3. The mounds of snow were creating a canyon along this sidewalk
4. Along 28th St downtown
5. Parade and 28th

1 comment:

Boki Mame said...

great pics Dave. I need to take some too. If this one in going in the record books I would like to have some photographic memories of it.